How You Save Money
When you make pre-tax purchases for your eligible commuting expenses through NYS-Ride, you save money each month because no federal, state, city income, Social Security, or Medicare taxes are withheld from the amount you set aside, up to the pre-tax limits set by the federal government. To calculate your savings, click here.
Highlights of NYS-Ride
- You choose whether to use this program to pay for your eligible transportation expenses, with the flexibility to change your election if your needs change.
- You can order your monthly transit pass or vanpool voucher through our secure website or by calling WageWorks customer service toll-free number (866) 428-7781 (TDD (866) 353-8058).
- Your commuting costs are paid through convenient pre-tax payroll deductions that save you money each payday. If your commuting costs are higher than the IRS pre-tax limits, the remainder is deducted on a post-tax basis.
- Your public transportation fare media (such as passes and fare cards) are conveniently mailed to your home address. Or you can have the value of your transit pass added to your WageWorks Commuter Card, which is used like a debit card to pay for your fare media.
- You save time because you no longer have to wait in line to buy public transportation fare media (such as passes and fare cards) and there are no special vouchers to cash.
- By using public transportation, you help to reduce traffic congestion; sustain the quality of the environment by reducing air pollution, smog and greenhouse gases due to automobile emissions; conserve our nation's fuel supply and reduce our dependency on foreign oil; and contribute to a cleaner New York. Check out the Carbon Savings Calculator.
Typical Savings Example by Riding the Bus to Work
|Cost of Pass